Friday 27 March 2015

Race for Life Training! Week One

Well hello there!

This summer, I'm going to be running the 10K Race for Life in aid of Cancer Research.
This is a cause very close to my heart, as I have already lost 3 family members to Cancer (one of them recently), and Cancer very nearly took another one.

Race for Life ribbon logo


My friend Rebecca is going to be running the race with me, and so I now have just over 3 months to get in marathon shape!

I go to the gym regularly, but I must admit my standards have been slipping recently. I used to mix up my exercise routine so I would do some cardio and strength training in the gym and then go to fitness classes including my beloved Zumba and Insanity. Insanity is amazing...just saying.

Since working full time, however, I've been a bit complacent with the gym and mainly going to the fitness classes. Classes are great and much more sociable and motivational (an instructor shouting "YOU'RE NOT DONE YET!!" whenever I stop certainly motivates me haha!). However I find that I've reached a fitness plateau (major First World Problem right there), as I've been doing the same routines with little variation. I'm also finding that I'm now much stronger but my cardio fitness isn't going anywhere.

So, what better excuse to mix things up and get back on a treadmill than a 10K Race?!

well...almost, right?

I've just coming to the end of week one of my race training. Here's what it consists of:

Monday: 5K Hill Run on treadmill followed by 30 minute Cardio setting on bike
Tuesday: Rest Day (Very important for muscle recovery. Also had a cheeky Chiquitos when the boyf came to visit. Don't tell anyone shhhh)
Wednesday: Rest Day
Thursday: 10K treadmill run, alternating between jogging and short bursts of sprinting, followed by 20 mins of strength training
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 6.5km run on real terrain - first 3km jog, second 3km run (Running on real terrain is much harder, as the treadmill carries you along whereas on real terrain it's all on you battling the elements and uneven surfaces)

So that's it - wish me luck in week 2!

Have you ever run a charity race? Do you have any preparation tips? I'd love to hear them (I need all the help I can get!) Comment below and help a girl out! :)

P.S. If you're a generous soul and you'd like to sponsor me, check out my new JustGiving page. It would mean so much to me so thank you if you do!

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment